[outages] FYI: TMobile USA NAT64 is broken

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Wed Feb 3 19:00:34 EST 2016

Hi,

If you have an iPhone and have iOS 9.3 beta2 you receive carrier update
23.5.4 which makes your LTE IPv6-only. There are major issues with
TMobile's existing NAT64 implementation. I suspect it is limited to UDP
traffic, but I am limited from what I can test with my iPhone. Most TCP
traffic seems to work, but it's impossible to do Facetime (audio or
video) calls, etc. The push messages (TCP) are received by both ends,
but the session never successfully connects and it times out.

Alternatively I've noticed it's impossible to connect to any Plex
servers (TCP, port 32400).

All of this is resolved if you use a VPN, which is frustrating. I hope
this is fixed before 9.3 rolls out to everyone.

--
  Mark Felder
  feld at feld.me