[outages] ATT, SBC, PacBell - spam storm?

Shaun outages at shat.net
Sun Jun 12 17:41:00 EDT 2016

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 11:42:29 -0600
Neil Ticktin via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote:

> users with accounts from AT&T, SBC Global, PacBell and other
> related providers

These are all bells who farm their mail service out to Yahoo. I haven't
seen any of today's spam wave, but have been on the receiving end of
previous ones from @bellsouth.net addresses. Same pattern: the forged
senders are people I know and have emailed, the subject line often
contains either my name or the name of someone else in their contacts,
and the messages aren't originating at Yahoo.

I've suspected some kind of compromise on the Yahoo side for months, at
the very least some leaky interface to the contacts database, but no
news has been forthcoming.

-s