[outages] EDNS Issues with bell.ca ?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Oct 7 16:37:10 EDT 2016

> On Oct 7, 2016, at 4:05 PM, Zachary McGibbon via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote:
>
> Hi, we started noticing DNS issues today with the bell.ca domain.  From our troubleshooting, it looks like Bell might have turned on EDNS?

What do you mean, the handling of EDNS 0, or EDNS > 0 ?

> Is anyone from Bell Canada on this list and can comment?
>
> I did tests from our network here at McGill University and all my lookups fail.  I also tried on my home connection (Videotron) and that works fine.
>
> From our DNS server:
>
> $ dig +trace www.bell.ca
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-25.P1.el5_11.8 <<>> +trace www.bell.ca

While RedHat does a lot of back porting of fixes and makes their version numbers often meaningless as a result.  Do you know what that translates to for equivalency?  Can you use something a bit more modern?

Bind 9.3 went EOL in January 2009, so I would try with something else.

If you’re on RHEL5 support may have already ended unless you’re out to the March 2017 date.

Due to this, please try with something else perhaps?

also, consider posting on dns-operations list, you may find a few more insights there.

https://ednscomp.isc.org/ednscomp/8a3e3c1092

- Jared