[outages] Major DNS DoS

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Oct 21 10:25:59 EDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 09:10:41AM -0400,
 Adam Greene via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote
 a message of 104 lines which said:

> I'm probably not noticing this being reported on this list, because of the
> very DNS issues taking place, but just in case:

Seems OK now?

https://www.dynstatus.com/incidents/nlr4yrr162t8

DDoS Attack Against Dyn Managed DNS
Incident Report for Dyn, Inc.
Subscribe to Updates
Monitoring
Services have been restored to normal as of 13:20 UTC.
Posted about 1 hour ago. Oct 21, 2016 - 13:36 UTC
Update
This attack is mainly impacting US East and is impacting Managed DNS customers in this region. Our Engineers are continuing to work on mitigating this issue.
Posted about 2 hours ago. Oct 21, 2016 - 12:45 UTC
Investigating
Starting at 11:10 UTC on October 21st-Friday 2016 we began monitoring and mitigating a DDoS attack against our Dyn Managed DNS infrastructure. Some customers may experience increased DNS query latency and delayed zone propagation during this time. Updates will be posted as information becomes available.

Customers with questions or concerns are encouraged to reach out to our Technical Support Team.
Posted about 3 hours ago. Oct 21, 2016 - 11:10 UTC