[outages] Dyn outage continuing

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Fri Oct 21 14:26:39 EDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 02:14:34PM -0400, Jim Popovitch via Outages wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore via Outages
> <outages at outages.org> wrote:
> > Let’s all be clear that Dyn has to be in the top 10 DNS infrastructures on
> > the planet. Possibly the largest that sells DNS as a service.
>
> Which part of Dyn?

To be clear, according to https://www.dynstatus.com/ (which is the
place you will actually find out about Dyn's status), this attack is
against the Dyn managed DNS infrastructure, which is the anycast
deployment.

I'm not in a position to disclose details about the attack just now
(partly because I'm leaving the people doing the mitigation alone so
they can focus on that rather than providing detailed attack reports),
but this is a significant attack.  The communications people at Dyn
are actively keeping the status pages accurate, so if you want to know
what's going on the URI above is the place to look.

I hope this is helpful to make clear what infrastructure people are
talking about.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
Dyn