[outages] [VoiceOps] Fonality?

Rich Walz brink668 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 19:37:32 EDT 2016

I was sent this: I believe they are still working on a more in depth root cause

"
Hello everyone,

We had a service disruption today.  As of a few moments ago, our services are actively being restored and, with few exceptions, the outage we had today is over.

First and foremost, this email is an apology for this widespread outage.  I know that as your business phone system provider, you depend upon the telephone for sales and service, and HUD to help you run your company, and that what happened today probably destroyed a lot of the trust that we built to date.  Despite our best efforts, we didn’t deliver the reliability we’ve been known for, and I’m sorry.

Now, on to the details, which I hope is the first step toward rebuilding that trust.

What we know right now, which isn’t much but I expect more details later tonight, is that we had a failure of our DNS services.  DNS, or Domain Name System, is what translates names (like fonality.com) to the internet’s IP addresses, which are numbers that identify each computer, phone, and other device everywhere in the world.  Despite having multiple data centers, and multiple layers of redundancy within and between our hosting locations, something common to all of them - our DNS service - failed.  And as a result, just about everything else went down with it, because they all depend upon DNS so they can be “found” by the various components of our system.  This includes our voice carriers, our control panel, our HUD service, and even our own office communications (website, phones, HUD, and email) so it was difficult to even respond to you if you tried to reach us.

Something so critical as DNS certainly has redundancies, but in this case and for a reason we’re still investigating, both the primary and redundant DNS systems failed.  You can be sure we’re going to do everything in our power to ensure that this type of global event can’t ever happen again - we will learn from this incident and will be better for it.

In the future, if you’d like to receive proactive updates, please visit our public system status site at http://trust.fonality.com or http://fonality.statuspage.io and sign up for alerts. That way you can be kept up to date proactively.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the trouble today, and know that all of us here at Fonality are going to work hard to ensure this type of incident never happens again.

- David

""

Rich Walz
Sent from my iPhone