[outages] REMINDER: ECLIPSE

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Aug 18 21:37:54 EDT 2017

Monday, 21 August, for the first time since 1979, a full solar eclipse will
pass across the continental United States.

This has caused enough excitement among the general public that an estimated
20 million Americans will be along the path of totality, rather than in their
normal market areas, and can be expected to be using *LOTS* of mobile voice
and data bandwidth in those areas -- especially since most cellular carriers
are on record that they'll be deploying COW and COT units along the path.

<moderator>
Please remember this when evaluating potential outages from now through
Tuesday, and use resources like Downdetector and others on our wiki,

  https://wiki.outages.org

to determine if an outage is 'real' before posting about it on the list.

As always: ask yourself "do I need to make several thousand cellphones beep"
before posting.

Two points:

1) If you have any good tools for this sort of work that aren't on our
wiki's Tools page already, either add them, or email them to me and I will.

2) If you have *actual outage notices* from a carrier of which you are a
direct or indirect customer, those are always on topic.

Everybody have a great weekend and Monday -- and let's be careful out there.
</moderator>

Cheers,
-- jra