[outages] Comcast DNS

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Jul 13 02:01:07 EDT 2017

On Jul 12, 2017 11:46 PM, "César de Tassis Filho via Outages" <
outages at outages.org> wrote:

Well, this domain has a broken DNSSEC setup: http://dnsviz.net/d/aer
hq.org/dnssec/

Every recursive DNS server that validates DNSSEC (except for Google Public
DNS, as stated here[1]) will not resolve this domain.

César

[1] https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq#gdns_
validation_failure

Actually, that page says:
"
If Google Public DNS cannot validate a response (due to misconfiguration,
missing or incorrect RRSIG records, etc.), it will return an error response
(SERVFAIL) instead. **However, if the impact is significant (e.g. a very
popular domain is failing validation), we may temporarily disable
validation on the zone until the problem is fixed.**" (Emphasis added)

This is through the use of RFC7646 (Negative Trust Anchors) - the use is very
seldom, manual, and only for very popular names.

(Apologies for formatting, etc - rushed, about to board a plane)

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 6:37 PM, Tom Elliott via Outages <