[outages] Abnormal Google Public DNS Routing

Tanner Ryan canadatechguy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 21:46:06 EDT 2017

Hello,

Has anyone experienced any issues with Google Public DNS in the past 5 days
or so?

My connection to the public resolver usually enters Google at the Toronto
Internet Exchange (TORIX), and terminates at Google's caching node in
Toronto. For the past few days, the connection is still entering in at
TORIX, but is routing much further into Google's network to terminate.

Before DNS resolutions were getting resolved in Toronto, but now are
getting passed to the Council Bluffs (Iowa) data center. This not only
causes DNS resolution times to increase, but I am also noticing some
resolution timeouts every once in a while.

I also know that there has been a lot of issues with Google Public DNS in
Brazil for the past few days. I've seen this abnormal routing start around
the same time that the issues in Brazil started.

Is anyone else also seeing this abnormal routing or experiencing these
issues?

~Tanner