[outages] Abnormal Google Public DNS Routing

Karl Katzke Karl.Katzke at kasasa.com
Mon Jun 19 15:19:29 EDT 2017

Not Google, but Dyn’s DNS services have not been propagating zone updates at all for the past 36+ hours. It’s getting kind of annoying.

-K

From: Outages <outages-bounces at outages.org> on behalf of Tanner Ryan via Outages <outages at outages.org>
Date: Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 8:46 PM
To: "outages at outages.org" <outages at outages.org>
Subject: [outages] Abnormal Google Public DNS Routing

Hello,

Has anyone experienced any issues with Google Public DNS in the past 5 days or so?

My connection to the public resolver usually enters Google at the Toronto Internet Exchange (TORIX), and terminates at Google's caching node in Toronto. For the past few days, the connection is still entering in at TORIX, but is routing much further into Google's network to terminate.

Before DNS resolutions were getting resolved in Toronto, but now are getting passed to the Council Bluffs (Iowa) data center. This not only causes DNS resolution times to increase, but I am also noticing some resolution timeouts every once in a while.

I also know that there has been a lot of issues with Google Public DNS in Brazil for the past few days. I've seen this abnormal routing start around the same time that the issues in Brazil started.

Is anyone else also seeing this abnormal routing or experiencing these issues?

~Tanner

This message and any attached files contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or without error as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.