[outages] Outages Message List Scope

Jason Grider jgrider at asc.edu
Thu Mar 9 12:12:41 EST 2017

Is a 504 – Gateway Error something that falls into this mailing list’s scope? I’m asking because I’ve only been subscribed for a few days and between a 10 minute outage at Slack generating ~25 messages over the course of 5 hours and an (most likely internal to Invidia) HTTP server error I’m wondering how much filtering I may need to put in place to get the pieces of information I need from the chaff of events that have a limited blast radius. There is no disrespect intended to anybody about what has been sent to the list. I’m just trying to set my expectations in line with the data I’ve asked for. :)

"The primary goal of this mailing list ("outages") is for outages-reporting that would apply to failures of major communications infrastructure components having significant traffic-carrying capacity, similar to what FCC provided prior to 9/11 days but they seem to have pulled back due to terrorism concerns. Some also believe that LEC's and IXC's also like this model as they no longer have to air their dirty laundry. Then again, this mailing list is not about making anyone look bad, its all about information sharing and keeping network operators & end users abreast on the situation as close to real-time information as possible in order to assess and respond to major outage such as routing voice/data via different carriers which may directly or indirectly impact us and our customers. A reliable communications network is essential in times of crisis.

The purpose of this list is to have a central place to lookup and report so that end users & network operators know why their services (e-mail, phones, etc) went down eliminating the need to open tons of trouble tickets during a major event. One master ticket - such as fiber cut affect xxx OC48's would suffice. We hope this would empower users and network operators to post such events so that everyone could benefit from it. “

Then again “OC48” may date that statement a little bit. :)

“Thank you and have a great day!” I say from the confines of my shiny silver flame suit.
Jason Grider