[outages] usno.navy.mil disappeared?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Dec 21 09:58:58 EST 2018

Actually, that is what I was going to say... and then I poked again and saw:

$ dig ns usno.navy.mil @ns.cybercom.mil.

; <<>> DiG 9.11.1-P3 <<>> ns usno.navy.mil @ns.cybercom.mil.
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;usno.navy.mil.                 IN      NS

;; Query time: 52 msec
;; SERVER: 131.77.60.235#53(131.77.60.235)
;; WHEN: Fri Dec 21 09:56:49 EST 2018
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 42

navy.mil seems to be returning NXDOMAIN for usno.navy.mil (or, I haven't
had sufficient coffee..)

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 9:56 AM Jared Mauch via Outages <outages at outages.org>
wrote:

> Looks like either a DNSSEC problem or their servers are down/unreachable.
>
> http://dnsviz.net/d/usno.navy.mil/dnssec/
>
> - Jared
>
> > On Dec 21, 2018, at 9:48 AM, Steven Surdock via Outages <
> outages at outages.org> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know what is going on with The US Naval Observatory?
> Usno.navy.mil appears to be completely unresolvable.  Affecting access to
> tick and tock time servers.
> >
> > $ nslookup -type=NS usno.navy.mil 8.8.8.8
> > *** google-public-dns-a.google.com can't find usno.navy.mil: Server
> failed
> > Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
> > Address:  8.8.8.8
> >
> > -Steve S.

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf