[outages] Google Down?

Brad Vanden Boogaard brad.vb at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 16:53:43 EST 2019

  Weighing in here,

I believe the purpose of the outages list is mostly to report confirmed
outages.  From the site
"The primary goal of this mailing list ("outages") is for outages-reporting
that would apply to failures of major communications infrastructure
components having significant traffic-carrying capacity "

It should not be used for troubleshooting.  If you are seeing issues and
have spoken with your carrier who confirmed that they have a major fiber
cut, reporting it here saves many people a large number of phone calls and
ticket creations.  Also from their site:
The purpose of this list is to have a central place to lookup and report so
that end users & network operators know why their services (e-mail, phones,
etc) went down eliminating the need to open tons of trouble tickets during
a major event. One master ticket - such as fiber cut affect xxx OC48's
would suffice. We hope this would empower users and network operators to
post such events so that everyone could benefit from it.

As mentioned by another user, discussion can be used for post-mortem,
troubleshooting, and discussion.
outages-discussion at outages.org - Post outages meta-discussion
(troubleshooting, analysis, post-mortem, etc)

"I am seeing x issue, is anyone else seeing x issue" is part of the
troubleshooting process.  This is part of discovering the scope and whether
your infrastructure or carrier infrastructure is facing issues.

Today's outage report of Internet2 around 4:30 PM EST is a good example.
It lets everyone know this is an issue, the incident number, and may save
people initial troubleshooting time.

Thanks and regards,