[outages] Comcast Issues Central & East

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 13:00:41 EDT 2019

It is unclear to me whether this is related, but my Comcast "business"
(DOCSIS) line in southeast Michigan went completely down around 10:43
a.m., Eastern Daylight Time (UTC-4) this morning.

Comcast's website said that this was a known outage and gave an
estimated restoration time of approximately three hours.

In reality, the service came back up around 10:55 a.m.

During the outage, the route to my /28 seemed to have been withdrawn
from Comcast's internal network; traceroutes toward it from the
Chicago area died within Comcast's network in the Chicago area. I was
not physically present at the premises, so I was unable to determine
whether this was a local / layer 1 / physical plant problem, or part
of a wider problem.

-Rusty