[outages] Level3 packet loss in Washingon, DC

Nimrod Levy nimrodl at gmail.com
Sat May 11 08:17:24 EDT 2019

It's not so much that they block ICMP (tho some do), it's more that the
router does not prioritize processing packets with an expired TTL. Doing so
requires generating an ICMP TTL Expired packet in reply. The original
packet could be anything. Many traceroutes use UDP or ICMP and have options
for TCP as the initial packet.

My favorite traceroutes as problem reports are the ones in a word document
where they've pasted a screenshot of a command shell.