[outages] Akamai Geolocation Concerns

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Fri Jan 17 14:13:07 EST 2020

We are seeing some geolocation oddities with a couple of websites hosted at, or resolved by, Akamai.

Two hostnames I'm looking at include:

business.officedepot.com
www.teacherspayteachers.com

'A' records for both have a TTL of 20 seconds, and randomly resolve to IPs in the US, and Europe (we are in the US/Oklahoma).

For example, business.officedepot.com is resolving to both 96.17.32.230 and
88.221.37.87 (at different times). I've verified the same inconsistent
behavior against 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1.

This is causing issues for an educational customer of ours. Is anyone aware
of issues within Akamai that may be causing them to source content from
Europe?

--
Dan White
BTC Broadband