[outages] DNS SERVFAIL for nist.gov

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Mon Jun 14 10:14:05 EDT 2021

Of course.

Like I stated in the original email, we don’t use NIST for time sync. We actually have a GPS and a PTP feed.

WE MUST, HOWEVER, VALIDATE OUR SYSTEM TIMES VERSUS THE INTERNET NIST SERVERS VIA FINRA REGULATIONS

Yes, it is stupid
No, it isn’t a good idea
FINRA specifically state that we MUST run a comparison and log any differences between our current time and Internet NIST servers. I have challenged them on this a number of times, but with no luck.

if we don’t want to get fined and prevented from trading, we have to follow FINRA regulations..

Matthew Huff | Director of Technical Operations | OTA Management LLC

Office: 914-460-4039
mhuff at ox.com<mailto:mhuff at ox.com> | www.ox.com<http://www.ox.com>