[outages] DNS SERVFAIL for nist.gov

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jun 15 16:14:01 EDT 2021

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mel Beckman via Outages" <outages at outages.org>
> Subject: Re: [outages] DNS SERVFAIL for nist.gov

> I support many financial networks, and comply with the same FINRA rule 6820 you
> do. This rule doesn’t state that the time must be synchronized over the
> Internet using public IP addresses, but only “to within a fifty (50)
> millisecond tolerance of the time maintained by the atomic clock” at NIST .
> Because GPS clock times are legally traceable to NIST, and deviation logs are

They are?  *Legally* traceable?  I've just read the first couple pages of Judah's
2941 PDF, and the things it says to me suggest that you cannot make that assertion
*about the GPS system*, only about specific measurements it produces, and that
distinction seems material in this context.

> available in real-time, there is no reason to depend on IP-based NTP over the
> Internet, and good reason not to as today’s event demonstrates. The 1ms
> accuracy is well within the 50ms limit.

Are you missing it, or are you purposely ignoring what he said?

He is *not* "depending on [...] NTP".  He merely has to have it and log it
to comply with FINRA, or so his counsel tells him.

I'm declaring this part of the thread out-of-bounds for outages anyway; take it
to -discuss please, if you want to continue ignoring Matt.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jr '<admin/>' a