[outages] Google Public DNS: major outage in Southern Europe (TLD: .us .biz)

Giorgio Bonfiglio me at grg.pw
Sat May 29 07:50:42 EDT 2021

Possibly related, I’ve been noticing some DNS resolution issues on Google Cloud beginning couple of days back.

I can easily replicate launching an “apt update” from my Cloud Shell:

Err:1 https://apt.releases.hashicorp.com <https://apt.releases.hashicorp.com> buster InRelease
  Temporary failure resolving 'apt.releases.hashicorp.com <http://apt.releases.hashicorp.com> '
[...]
Err:8 http://repo.mysql.com/apt/debian <http://repo.mysql.com/apt/debian> buster InRelease
  Temporary failure resolving ‘repo.mysql.com <http://repo.mysql.com> '

This is inconsistent though, dig for the two domains above mostly works. >From Cloud Shell I can also resolve ‘google.us <http://google.us> ’ on 156.154.128.70 which is one of the authoritative NS failing in Lukas’ query on dns.google <http://dns.google> .

There is indeed something weird going on in Google’s network/DNS but I don’t think we can fully track it down from the outside.