[outages] Fiber cuts between McLean and Ashburn VA

Ross Tajvar ross at tajvar.io
Thu Nov 18 00:01:45 EST 2021

Turns out we were mistaken about Zayo - just Fiberlight and RCN. Here's the
info I have from Fiberlight, in case anyone else is following along:

 Master Incident Ticket # 914957
 Incident Summary
 Fiber Cut - ASHBURN VA market
 Customer Name
 Multiple
 Dispatch Location
 ASHBURN VA
 Description
 Fiber Cut - ASHBURN VA market
 Incident Start Time
 11:30 AM EST
 Incident Duration
 11 Hrs.
 Current Status
 10:19 PM EDT - Crews are preparing to install new cable. No ETR at this
time.
 Status History

 8:58 PM EDT - Construction and splice crew on site. Excavation to find a
viable
 path for new cable has begun. No ETR at this time.

 7:23 PM EDT - Currently waiting for construction crews to arrive and
utility
 tickets to clear. Cable should be here in approximately 20 minutes.
Splicers are
 onsite waiting for cable placement. No ETR at this time.

 5:59 PM EST: Cable is damaged at 950' east of Tolston Rd on Leesburg Pike.
Crews
 are assessing the damage. No ETR at the time.

 5:10 PM EST Crews went out to suspected fiber break location and found no
 damage.
 Work continues to isolate fault location.

 2:40 PM EST - Fiberlight Outside plant team continue work to identifying
the
 fault location.

 1:40 PM EST - Field service techs onsite shooting OTDR at this time. Splice
 teams have been notified and are standing by for fault location.

 12:30 PM EST - Fiberlight Outside plant team is actively investigating and
 working on isolating the fiber break at this time.
 Preliminary RFO
 Details of the Fiber Cut:
 Underground Cable
 Location of the damage: 950' east of Tolston Rd on Leesburg Pike (VA)
 Cable count: 432
 RFO:  Damage was caused by a contractor working for a road contractor.