[outages] Meta: outages outage

Jürgen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Tue Oct 5 05:34:06 EDT 2021

OK, aside from the Facebook outage, and no doubt because of it, we
effectively had an outages outage... messages to the lsit were massively
delayed, causing lots of duplicate reports and general failure to have
any meaningful confirmations, etc.

Why?  What happened?  Well, outages is hosted on a server
(puck.nether.net) with a couple dozen other lists, and some of these
lists probably have members with email addresses at facebook domains,
and the SMTP server kept trying to look those up and having wait for
timeouts?  Something like that, except that since there were no routes
to facebook's nameservers there shouldn't have been any need to wait
for timeouts.  Anyone here form nether.net actually take a look?

It's more than idle curiosity, I'd like make my mail servers more
resilient to this kind of situation, and the outages list of all
probably should be, too.

- Jürgen