[outages] Ping to Google 8.8.8.8

Giorgio Bonfiglio me at grg.pw
Thu Feb 10 03:09:09 EST 2022

On 10/02/2022 04:53, Mark Tinka via Outages wrote:

> In any event, providing an alternative that is globally standard,
> would be far easier than trying to educate customers who only care
> about getting their MTV.

I'm not sure an AS112-like alternative would be what we want here: for
the average user reaching Google/Facebook/Akamai/CloudFront is far more
important than reaching some random AS hosting the closest AS112 instance.

Overall, it's probably not fair expect to change the behaviour which
leads users to test common destinations for validating whether their
internet service is available. If we started pushing "ping 8.8.8.8" out
of people's mindset, they will likely move to "curl google.com".

Giorgio

--
www: grg.pw
email: me at grg.pw
mobile: +44 7716 604314 / +39 393 1049073