[outages] Optus/Akamai

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Nov 8 09:20:21 EST 2023

Off of Facebook of all places, I hear this report that Optus had a major outage in Australia last night, which is believed to have been a BGP screw up involving Akamai:

"Nope: it was Akamai increasing their advertised prefix count from their cdn nodes inside the Optus network, and Optus’s configured max-prefix settings on their core bgp sessions from their route reflectors weren’t quite high enough and their whole network went down.  Someone didn’t quite think through the value for internal max-prefix rules.."

Anybody confirm, deny, got hit by it?

Cheers,
-- jra