[outages] [EXTERNAL] Re: ATT cellular network 2024-02-22

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Thu Feb 22 12:42:27 EST 2024

Once upon a time, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> said:
> Modern phones don’t use hardware sims to the best of my knowledge, using e-sims
> instead.

Lots still use a physical SIM (not all carriers/devices/OS versions
support eSIM, and also some carriers apparently have exerted more limits
on which devices they'll let you bring with eSIM).

> I’ll note that this outage apparently affected ATT, Verizon, and T-Mo which
> account for the vast majority of licensed spectrum in the US. (Basically all
> three primary carriers and thus likely every MVNO as well (several of them were
> also mentioned).

Any citation for anybody other than AT&T (and their other brands, MVNOs,
etc.) being affected?  Both Verizon and T-Mobile have said they had no
network issues, except for their customers trying to contact AT&T
customers.

Note: downdetector (and a slew of news articles referencing it as truth)
is not a valid citation.
--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>