[rbak-nsp] dhcp only on interface

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Sun Aug 3 17:59:41 EDT 2008

I take it these are IPoE subs, if you want to prevent a user creating a static IP on their machine and it being used, the problem is bigger than just the redback, what about all the other subs making an ARP request and seeing the ARP response between themselves? I've no idea how your network is designed but I take it that your IPoE edge devices filter MAC such that only your redback interface can be seen?

Secured ARP will go some of this way but CLIPS is an entire solution built on supporing IPoE subs.

With CLIPS, each IPoE sub is treated as a proper redback sub, when a DHCP lease expires the sub is cut off and both ARP and MAC communication are cut off.

But as I said above, your IPoE edge devices need appropriate securing.

David Freedman
Group Network Engineering
Claranet Limited
http://www.clara.net