[rbak-nsp] PPPoE tunnel and Firewall

Masood Ahmad Shah masood at nexlinx.net.pk
Thu Jul 24 16:32:33 EDT 2008

I’m really getting confused while adding firewall for DSL subscribers. I
want to protect my PPPoE subscriber from malicious traffic. Adding a
firewall between DSLAMs and BRAS is kinda confused for me. The final
topology is going to be like

CPEß------>DSLAMß-------àFirewallß------BRAS------->Ineternet

>From CPE to BRAS is PPPoE tunnel. The question “ Can firewall protect PPPoE
customers from malicious traffic while sitting in transparent mode in front
of BRAS”. I wonder , firewall will skip the PPPoE tunnels traffic.

If yes, than how do you guys protect BRAS internal traffic from one
subscriber to another.