[rbak-nsp] auth storm and problem with freeRadius

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Sun Apr 19 17:01:11 EDT 2009

Frans Legdeur wrote:
> Hi Marcin,
>
> The problem could well be that the Redback works with an outstanding amount
> of requests that differs from what the radius server can handle.
>
> By default, the redback will work with 250 outstanding requests before it
> stops sending more authentication requests.
> Your radius server, as many others, might stop handling request at 100
> incoming requests (buffered).

yhm, well.
So - if that's the limit, I'll try to apply such rules.
Btw, on freeBSD, freeradius "freezes", on linux - process just diappears..
I have to do /etc/init.d/freeradius to have it running...

> This means that the redback will timeout 150 requests before it will send
> them again (See command "show radius statistics" number of "request timeout"
> should run up).

clear

> You can adjust the max number of outstanding requests on the redback by
> command: "radius max-outstanding 100" at the context where the radius server
> is configured (This example limits the amount to 100 outstanding requests).

that's ok for me. The worst is that I don't know why freeradius on linux
just disappears..

> With regards to the different type of radius servers, FreeRadius should
> performance wise works well. Personally we always work with Radiator, due to
> it's flexibility and ease of configuration, including connections to
> databases. I have recently tested 800 subscriber sessions, generated with
> SmartBits on PPPoA, which runs against an SE-100 with my laptop as radius
> server (Apple G4, Perl, Radiator and PostGreSQL), took 42 seconds to get
> them all authenticated.

I'll test it.
Do you have any tool to test i.e. 1000 requests for PPPoE ?
I know a very, very nice tool for GGSN (sgsn simulator, Trembler by
ericsson) and - I wish I could have something like that for pppoe..

> This included radius guided CCOD for each circuit and PPPoA, this would summ
> up to 1600 requests all together to get them authenticated (19 subs/sec) and
> accounting ... (that's 57 radius request per second handled)
>

> So, your problem is not within the radius server, just limit the amount of
> outstanding requests and it should work fine ;-)

I'll test it then.

> At Belgacom we once had complains that the SE didn't authenticate the
> subscribers quick enough, closer look showed the radius server couldn't
> handle the requests quick enough ... Once that was solved all worked fine.

well, evel several minutes after big crash is not a problem for us ;-)

Regards,
Marcin