[rbak-nsp] RES: limit traffic ession

Reda Nedjar rnedjar at redback.com
Thu Aug 20 17:35:09 EDT 2009

Hi Alexandre,

On the SmartEdge plateforme you can use its integrated volume based feature to set a volume limit for the session. Once that limit is reached the SmartEdge can take one of the 2 actions depending on its configuration :
-either disconnect automatically the user session. Accounting-stop with disconnect reason (volume limit reached) is sent to a Radius server.
-or keep the session live and send a triggered interim accounting indicating that volume limit is reached. From here your Radius can take the action to set a new policy (new rate-limit, qos policy, volume quota...etc) for the user's session through CoA.

For this to work you need to return the Redback VSA 113 RB-Session-Traffic-Limit in the access-accept.
RB-Session-Traffic-Limit : String. Specifies that inbound, outbound, or aggregated traffic be limited. Use the in: limit, out:limit or aggregate: limit format where limits are in Kbytes. The limit values set for inbound andoutbound traffic are independent of each other, while the limit value set for aggregate traffic is the total sum of both inbound and outbound traffic. When configuring Session-Traffic-Limit, you can configure the limit for either of these options:  Inbound traffic, outbound traffic, or both

Regards,
Reda