[rbak-nsp] QoS policies (metering/policing) on dot1q child circuits

Ronald Voermans R.Voermans at global-e.nl
Thu Feb 19 09:47:05 EST 2009

Oops,

Forget the question(s) below. After staring at it for the last days, I thought there was some problem on the Redback. After posting this message, I looked once again at the configuration, and discovered that the qos-policies missed the 'counters' statement in the rate-configuration!

However, I do have one other question about it:

Suppose the 1950 dot1q tunnel needs to be a 20Mbit (policed en metered) vlan, with dot1q child circuits 100 and 101 (so 1950:100 and 1950:101). Both child circuits will be pppoe-circuits (we distinguish different services as different child circuits, so 100 for 'internet' and 101 for 'voip'). At the moment I have 1950:100 policed and metered at 10mbit (see below) and 1950:101 policed and metered at 10mbit.

The rate and burst parameters for 10mbit are (resp.) 10000 and 1875000.

First question: do the burst parameters make any sense?
Next question: the dot1q tunnel needs to be 20mbit. Do I have to police/meter this circuit also? I ask this because of the following: If for some reason both 1950:100 and 1950:101 are both bursting above the 10mbit (which is possible, since both child-circuits don't know how much bandwidth is available), so traffic *needs* to get dropped, to get to the maximum of 20mbit.

I hope this makes any sense?!

Beste regards,

Ronald Voermans
Global-e BV