[rbak-nsp] QoS policies (metering/policing) on dot1q child circuits

Tanan Satayapiwat tsatayap at redback.com
Tue Feb 24 09:15:19 EST 2009

Hi Ronald,
Actually, Hierarchical scheduling is more for what you mentioned on Feb 19. Quoted from your email
" If for some reason both 1950:100 and 1950:101 are both bursting above the 10mbit (which is possible, since both child-circuits don't know how much bandwidth is available), so traffic *needs* to get dropped, to get to the maximum of 20mbit."
In this scenario, you can assign 10Mb metering to both 1950:100 and 1950:101. Then you assign another 20Mb Metering to 1950. The result is combining traffic amount cannot exceed 20 mbit on VLAN1950 level.

If what you want is to give absolute priority to voice traffic so that burst from data VLAN does not eat into voice VLAN, then you should assign different priority to 1950:100 and 1950:101. The difference in priority will be carried over to 1950 level and then you can apply strict mode so that higher priority will go first. So it should looks something like this

[local]Redback(config)#port ethernet 5/1
[local]Redback(config-port)#encapsulation dot1q
[local]Redback(config-port)#dot1q pvc 1950 encapsulation 1qtunnel
[local]Redback(config-port)#qos rate maximum 10000
[local]Redback(config-port)#qos hierarchical mode strict
[local]Redback(config-port)#dot1q pvc 1950:100 <--- voice
[local]Redback(config-dot1q-pvc)#qos policy queuing high_priority
[local]Redback(config-dot1q-pvc)#exit
[local]Redback(config-port)#dot1q pvc 1950:101 <--- data
[local]Redback(config-dot1q-pvc)#qos policy queuing low_priority

This comes out of the top of my head and I didn't have time to verify anything much so better to test it first.

Tanan