[rbak-nsp] redback-nsp Digest, Vol 36, Issue 7

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Wed Dec 15 14:17:09 EST 2010

>     We use both:  in some places we actually have subscribers with
> metering (for downstream remarking), policing (for upstream remarking),
> and pwfq all on the same subscriber.  The box will mark ("meter")
> downstream traffic & then queue it on the same subscriber all day long.

According to Ericsson, metering is occuring on egress, perhaps after the
sub is encapsulated in the tunnel headers, this perhaps explains why
"propagate qos to l2tp" was so broken (see my earlier posts)

they said:

Ericsson PLM (Product Line Maintenance)  have explained that the
'feature' wasn't working for yourselves, because you are marking the
packets with a Metering Policy. The Metering Policy, which is actioned
at the egress, is processed after the 'propagate qos to l2tp' command.
Therefore, the marking needs to be done as a policing policy (on the
Ingress). This is the expected operation and has been successfully
tested, and showed that the original subscriber IP Header was unchanged

So I guess it is only possible to use policing policies for L2TP
subscribers, unless you have evidence of this working with metering on
your kit? (I dont know if you use internal DP like I want to or not)

Dave,.

- --

David Freedman
Group Network Engineering

david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Tel +44 (0) 20 7685 8000

Claranet Group
21 Southampton Row
London - WC1B 5HA - UK
http://www.claranet.com

Company Registration: 3152737 - Place of registration: England

All the information contained within this electronic message from
Claranet Ltd is covered by the disclaimer at
http://www.claranet.co.uk/disclaimer