[rbak-nsp] Strange auth problem after enabling mlppp

Ian Calderbank ian at calderbankconsulting.co.uk
Tue Jul 27 18:28:14 EDT 2010

Yeah, I started working with sms1000's in '00. Nice when the old stuff is
still going.

It'll be the logging config - "logging syslog debug " or something like
that.

Yes, there are various issues...

Timing -  Those T1's are near perfectly synchronous, to the microsecond
(unless the carrier has some serious issues). ADSL's are not, multiple 10's
of milliseconds jitter between any given pair is not uncommon, run a
per-packet load-balancer over that and tcp is screwed by out of order
delivery. The MLPPP support in the SMS , from memory was targeted at
synchronous circuits - ISDN and DS1/T1.
Thoughput - Those T1's are also exactly the same speed - to the bit. Again,
any two ADSL's are not exactly the same throughput (no matter what the sync
may say). If they are significantly different, there's no way to bias it
towards the faster one.

You've got zero support from RB/ Ericson on this (SMS500 went End Of Support
a number of years ago) so it would be a real suck it and see approach.

There are boxes that do ip layer load balancing of course, the trick is to
find one that is designed to work in a way to bond multiple DSL lines
together, I happen to be doing some work for such a one at the mo, so I'll
PM you the details to avoid too much OT on this list.

ta
Ian