[rbak-nsp] Captive portal for Ethernet users

John womble1950 at live.com
Wed Dec 7 10:39:47 EST 2011

Hi,

I need to setup a captive portal for several hundred users that will be
connected to the SmartEdge via an Ethernet connection (each user is a
seperate port on a Cisco switch), I'd be grateful for any pointers on
whats needed to implement this?

Would I be right in thinking we have the SE allocate an address via DHCP
(or proxy DHCP to an external server) and initially apply an ACL that
prevents any access other than to the portal server (not sure how we
apply the ACL as the user wouldn't be seen as a subscriber I think?).
Then once the user has authenticated via a webpage the portal needs to
update that ACL so that the the user can connect to anywhere with any
protocol?

I did start reading about Hotlining which sounds like the solution but a
WiMAX solution that only supports WiMAX?

Any advice & guidance appreciated.

John.