[rbak-nsp] Fwd: sh l2tp global ipc - ppp sessions/card

Richard Clayton sledge121 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 08:13:44 EST 2011

 David

A couple of my friends work at 2 large UK ISP's and they both load balance
their host link resilient pairs without any problems (they don't shape
towards the lac though) and the BT SIN pdf 472v1p9 details how to achieve
load balancing over the pair. I think the main reason they load balance is
less user disruption when one of the fibres fails. I do agree with you
though as the same SIN doc does say that you should actually use them as
active/standby.

Am I correct in saying that your advise for shaping/queuing is as follows:

1. Set the pair as active/standby
2. Configure subscribers to connect to the card that has the route back to
the lac using the 'lns card selection route' command
3. Configure subscriber shaping as normal

And in the event of the primary fibre failing

1 Configure subscribers to connect to the card that now has the route back
to the lac
2. Boot all users so they connect to the correct card

Thanks
Rick