[rbak-nsp] MPLS VPN import map equivalent command

Blake Willis blake at ibrowse.com
Wed Jan 26 12:30:29 EST 2011

On 26 Jan 2011, at 18:00, redback-nsp-request at puck.nether.net wrote:

> Date: 26 January 2011 14:27:44 GMT+01:00
> Subject: Re: [rbak-nsp] MPLS VPN import map equivalent command
> Hi Marvin,
>
> I’ve been having the same issue as you for a long time already.
> Looks like Redback hasn’t coded on that version the functionality
> of creating a route-map for the import map command.  Let’s wait for
> others advice. =)
>
> Regards,
> Emver

The last time I was developing around this and asking our SE about
it, it seemed pretty clear that it was an architectural design issue
& not a "bug".  I haven't checked the release notes for the latest
versions, but I'd be surprised if anything has changed.

We deal with it in two ways:

1) design your export & redistribute maps so that pretty much
everything can be dealt with uniquely by selecting which targets you
import (without being able to use an import map)

2) use Junipers in circumstances where method 1 isn't good enough
(e.g. change a metric or localpref at import).  <grin>

Be aware that import/export on the same box and inter-router BGP
import/export are really not handled the same way, (pay particular
attention to weights).  Also, you can't match & set the same
attribute in the same stanza (e.g. "match metric 5" & "set metric
100" won't work).  You really need to test the heck out of your route
maps before putting them in production as they will most likely not
do what you mean for them to do the first time around.

  -Blake

---
  Blake Willis
  Network Architect