[rbak-nsp] lns card selection

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Mon Jul 25 06:13:11 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 09:53:16AM +0100, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have configured an l2tp peer with the lns card selection command
> but the session will only establish if traffic is routing in/out of
> the card that the session terminates on:
>
>  l2tp-peer unnamed
>   session-auth chap
>   tunnel-auth key tunnelpass1
>   function lns-only
>   max-tunnels 50
>   lns card selection priority
>   lns card 4 preference 10
>
> With this setup the session only establishes if I shutdown port 1/1
> so that the default route is via 4/1.  And if I specify "lns card 1
> pref 10" instead then the session only establishes if the default
> route is via card 1.  Am I missing something obvious?  I thought
> this config should allow sessions to be terminated on any traffic
> card regardless of which one the traffic actually routes out of?

We had a similar setup with incoming L2TP subscribers on a STM-16 POS card
which only had 8000 circuits. So we distributed the subscribers to upstream
GigE cards (Even more than 1 - we had ~50000 subs).  We definitly had no route
to the LAC via the GigE cards as the POS Interface was in a different context
than the GigE upstreams. We started with 2.6.5.something and had it running up
to 5.0.7.something. So my best bet is you are looking for a different problem.

> When it fails it seems to get stuck during the PPP negotiation:

When you look at normal syslog you might see that the Circuit for the
L2TP tunnel itself migrates to the outbound card. This should not lead to
subscriber drops.

Flo