[rbak-nsp] PIM/IGMP on which interfaces ?

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Thu Oct 13 10:53:08 EDT 2011

hello,

I'am in doubt. I have a context where IPTV runs.

There are let's say 2 interfaces, 1 - downstream where PIM is running
and 2 - multicast VLAN (with IGMP snooping v2). On interface 2 I have:

!
  interface downstream
   ip address 10.200.16.6/30
   igmp last-member-query-interval 2000
   pim sparse-mode
!
  interface mcast-epon
   ip address 10.200.183.1/24
   dhcp proxy 253
   igmp last-member-query-interval 2000
   pim sparse-mode
!

is there ANY need for PIM on interface mcast-epon ???
There is no PIM speaker on that side, however if I turn it of, it seems
that IGMP traffic disappears..
I have no STB @ home to check it, I'am just connected with sniffer to
that vlan.

I have a need to clean-up IPTV mess as much as possible, there are some
quality problems and I'am trying to remove all unncessary and possible
points of problem.

Also I can see some CDPv1 messages comming from Mikrotik bridge (used to
test IPTV over EoIP tunnel). But, I will block it on core by allowing
only IPv4 and ARP on vlan.

Regards,
Marcin