[rbak-nsp] IP Address Assignment Methods

Tomas Lynch tomas.lynch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 07:57:16 EDT 2012

If your customers don't need a fixed IP address then assign addresses
with a local pool on the SE.

With local pools you are also reducing your routing table: you assign
a /24 to one box and there is no need to propagate all the /32s. With
the framed-ip-address-attribute, if a customer moves from one SE to
another then you will need to propagate that /32. The more prefixes
you have on your routing table, the more memory is used.

You can even save addresses with local pools if you know what is the
maximum of customers connected at the same time: let's say you have
100 subscribers but you know that there are never more than 60
connected, then you can assign a pool of 60 addresses on that SE and
save 40 for another.