[rbak-nsp] DOS

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Wed Jan 18 19:38:22 EST 2012

Judith Sanders wrote:
> We were experiencing a DOS ssh on our SE800-we have modified our Border
> Router ACL and also taken steps to only allow ssh on the management
> internal interface of the box. Since this has happened our SE800 has
> been running about 95% CPU and the inetd process has been running about
> 89% of that. Also we are still not able to log into the box remotely
> using SSH to the management interface. Just wondering if the processes
> are running so high that the box will not allow us access until it calms
> down (so to speak).
>
> Has anyone had a similar experience with this?

Do you have i.e. BGP router in context local ?
It is a good practice to put all public access functions in context
other than local. i.e. BGP can be in context bgp.
In context local, IP for management is private (at least in our case).

In all other context than local, there is by default no way to get via
ssh or telnet to SmartEdge. The only one that works is SNMP.
All access can be configured by admin-access-group ACL per context.

This process (inetd) can not be restarted by command "process restart",
but, if you switch over XCRPs, than it should calm down (if there is no
other incomming unwanted traffic).

Regards,
Marcin