[rbak-nsp] fix snmp index

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Sun Mar 11 07:02:35 EDT 2012

Anatoly Romashkin wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 15:14:34 +0100
> Marcin Kuczera <marcin at leon.pl> wrote:
>
>> Anatoly Romashkin wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> what a way to fix the snmp indexes, such as cisco ios "snmp-server ifindex persist"?
>>> inconvenient to operate with a variable index.
>> Well, this is something that I'am also "praying" for..
>>

> for the cause, how many "parishioners" is required to collect, so the vendor will do it?

That's a good question...

Once I have received an inforation, that this is by design, SNMP engine
is like a heart of a system and all around is build using concept of how
SNMP is supposed to serve the system.
And, that changing this would require rewritting most of the code..
Or I misunderstood...

Whatever, even if, once I have proposed to RESEVE a range of IDs for
static assignment, than, on particular static circuit (only static) one
would put a statement like "static snmp id 5001" that would make same
after whatever reload/reboot/upgrade happens..

No response for that...
But - if SNMP responsible person in /// reads this, maybe can say
something more if someone is thinking about any changes in this subject..

Other nasty issue is that you can not read SNMP ID of particular circuit
via any know command (at least I can't). The only method is snmpwalk + grep.

Regards,
Marcin