[rbak-nsp] BGP - GracefulRestart & BFD - how does it work ?

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Thu Jun 13 17:48:23 EDT 2013

On 2013-06-13 18:28, Yuri Shefer wrote:
> Hi Marcin,
>
> The BFD is running on the line card. If you enable BFD for your eBGP
> neighbor, the BGP will become a client for BFD, i.e. BGPd process will
> be notified if the BFD session fails.
>
> The config part is very simple:
>
> context bfd-bgp
>  router bfd
>   interface to-as123
>    minimum transmit-interval 100
>    minimum receive-interval 100
>    detection-multiplier 3
>
> router bgp 123
>   neighbor 1.1.1.2 external
>    bfd

Ok, config is quite clear. Dependencies between processes also.
However:

- if BFD runs on linecard, what happens if linecard crashes ? Is it able
to inform bgpd then ?
I suppose that there is some BFD parent process on XCRP that controls
BFD on linecards, but - is it ?

- I assume that BFD informing BGPd causes all bgp session timers clear
down instantly. Right ?

Regards,
Marcin