[rbak-nsp] Hello, i am a newbe in BGP

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Mar 20 16:40:09 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 05:15:47PM +0300, Соловьёв Роман wrote:

> I have two uplinks
> neighbor 85.26.207.26 - MEGAFON - 1 Gbit
> and
> neighbor 92.50.209.117 - ROSTELECOM - 0.5 Gbit
>
> How can make more preference to neighbor 85.26.207.26?

I guess you are talking about inbound traffic?

So the paths the traffic source sees for your prefixes is better through
MEGAFON then through ROSTELECOM.

There is a full bunch of possibilites to shift traffic to MEGAFON.

You could prepend the path to ROSTELECOM which will make it kind of soft.
AS BGP path length is one of the parameters for best path selection.

You could announce more specific e.g. longer prefix routes on the
MEGAFON link - this is a thing of last resort IMHO as it pollutes
the global BGP tables and it'll force traffic for those prefixes through
this link. Prefix length is the ultimate parameter for route selection
so as long as the more specific route is there it'll be used.

Flo