[rbak-nsp] CLIPS, DHCP and RADIUS

Бен Томпсон b.thompson at latera.ru
Tue Mar 26 14:57:08 EDT 2013

Hello Everyone

I am sorry if I am asking a very simple question, but I am new to
Redback devices and terminology. I do not administer Redback devices,
but I often work with customers who use them, and if I understand the
devices it will help me in my job.

In the case of CLIPS used with an external DHCP server (as I
understand it, this means that we have to use DHCP proxy mode), one
thing I want to understand is how a subscriber is authenticated and
allowed access to the network.

My assumption is that when a subscriber sends a DHCP discover, this is
"held" by the Redback router, while it goes off to do RADIUS
authentication. I am also guessing that if the router gets an
Access-Accept it then releases the DHCP discover to the server and
then contines to pass the rest of the DHCP messages between client and
server.

I also guess that when a DHCP release or timout occurs, this is what
triggers the Accounting-Stop.

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me a hint that I am
thinking along the right lines.

Ben