[rbak-nsp] loopback & inter-context traffic counters

Tomas Lynch tomas.lynch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 07:40:18 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Dave J <rp1985x at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to get traffic counters for loopback interfaces via snmp?  My
> monitoring solution can see the interfaces in the snmpwalk but I'm not
> getting any data back and seeing blank graphs.  Should I be able to get
> traffic stats via snmp for a loopback interface?

There is no traffic going thru loopback interfaces, so no snmp stats
on traffic. Loopbacks are used solely as source or destinations
addresses representing the router if used correctly.

> What about traffic between contexts via inter-context routing?  I dont have
> any inter-context routing yet but if I did would I be able to monitor and
> graph this traffic between contexts with snmp?

I don't think there is something like that. What you can do is to
check all the traffic ports that are connected to different contexts
and then add all the traffic incoming/outgoing, anything that is not
from any in/out interface on the context is from another context (easy
to write but what happens with more than two contexts...)