[rbak-nsp] CLIPS access redundancy?

Voigt, Thomas Thomas.Voigt at netkom.de
Wed Jan 21 03:26:31 EST 2015

Hi all,

after getting CLIPS working here I tried to get some redundacy on the access side of the 2 SmartEdges we use here.
Our access network is L2 and is L3-terminated at the multibind subscriber interfaces in 2 separate Smartedges.
The multiband interfaces have different ip addresses in the same subnet. For example a.b.c.254/24 and a.b.c.253/24.

I tried to configure some VRRP there but no luck: It is not supported on multibind interfaces.
As the multibind interfaces are in the same L2 cloud they would see all DHCP messages from the clients and if one SmartEdge fails the other would successfully relay these messages to the DHCP server. The DHCP server has to give the client then another default gateway (for example a.b.c.253 instead of .254) and the client will be "online".
But this only works if the client does a new DHCP DISCOVER after the SmartEdge is failing.

Is there another way to achieve some "immediate" redundancy on the access side with dynamic clips?

--
Regards

Thomas