[rbak-nsp] L2TP - Multiple Remote IPs, One Remote Name

Blake Willis blake at ibrowse.com
Thu Sep 22 05:32:36 EDT 2016

On 22.09.2016 08:26, redback-nsp-request at puck.nether.net wrote:

> I need to terminate L2TP sessions from multiple remote LACs, each of
> which
> uses the same hostname in its L2TP tunnel setup. Unfortunately these
> belong
> to a third-party, so I can't do anything about the hostnames.
>
> According to the docs the 'name' parameter to l2tp-peer must be unique
> so
> it sounds like I can't do what I need with the SE but I was hoping one
> of
> you had come across this scenario and had found a solution.

Hi Dermot,

Just as Sam said, for every l2tp peer where we can't control the name
&/or they have more than a couple LACs, we dedicate a context &
configure an unnamed peer for them (you can only have 1 per context...).

Something to watch out for when doing this:  to my recollection, SEOS
(at least the 6.1 that we [still] use) can't handle encapsulating L2TP
and MPLS on the same packet, so e.g. you need to design your L2TP
contexts so that the tunnels don't come in over L3VPN.  (perhaps someone
has experience to the contrary?)

HtH,
---
  Blake Willis