[rc] Layer 2 MPLS - which routing protocol to use? WAS RE: anyone alive out there?

jon.hartman at verizon.com jon.hartman at verizon.com
Thu May 29 10:09:44 EDT 2008

I guess my only concern with that would be that since many topologies use
eBGP externally and OSPF internally, to use BGP for your site-to-site
routing, you'd have to redistribute between iBGP and OSPF and raise the
complexity proportionally. If you're just talking about a few branch
offices connected to HQ that might be OK, but when you're talking about
connecting major data centers, those concerns are elevated.

I have to admit, while I know a bit about the technology, I know
little/nothing about the practical implementations yet of MPLS. So, why is
it that OSPF has issues? Could any issues not be overcome by also playing
with it's timers? Granted, you may have some multicast issues, but I know
you can also manually configure OSPF neighbors.

-Jon