[sysmon-help] memory corruption on reload

Morgan Aldridge makkintosshu at mac.com
Mon Aug 13 13:04:32 EDT 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 12:33 PM, Chris Wik wrote:

> While you're on the topic... One thing I would like is for the uptime
> stats to be non-volatile. At the moment when ever sysmond is restarted
> the uptime stats are reset, it would be nice if they were saved to
> disk
> somewhere so we could see long term trends, even if sysmond has to be
> restarted for whatever reason. It would also be useful to have
> historical data to back up the SLA's some of our customers have.

I definitely agree with you on this one, but I bet the logistics can
be pretty complicated. For example, I use rely heavily on Sysmon's
ability to handle fail-over monitoring on another server, but would
one want to sync that history between the various monitoring servers?
Also, how do you handle when the Sysmon daemon is down during a
reboot or other maintenance? Assume the services were up the entire
time?

I guess it'd be easy to preserve if you just want a rough estimate of
uptime, but trying to be able to measure to five-nines might be too
much work.

Morgan Aldridge
morgant at makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/