[sysmon-help] Frequently failing Sysmon ping tests...

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Fri Jul 31 07:47:46 EDT 2009

I've been running Sysmon v0.93-pre3 for quite some time and my primary
Sysmon box is currently running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Server. It's had
an issue for quite some time where it frequently fails to ping itself.

It'll stay "up" for about 2-3 tests w/the default queuetime of 60, so
the uptime usually stays only just over 50%. I had considered this
acceptable because it was really only causing a slight delay in
notification. However, recently I started adding many tests for a
second location and some of those ping tests fail frequently.
Unfortunately, my fellow admin in the second location is not happy
about that.

I had gradually upped maxqueued (default it actually 75) to 128, 256,
384, and am now at 512 (the ceiling for maxqueued is 1024 on Mac OS X
10.5 Leopard Server). That seems to help greatly for a while
(sometimes and hour, sometimes many hours), but it always reverts to
frequent failures. I've never been able to get a manual ping to fail
(when the devices were actually up, naturally).

So, where do I start my troubleshooting? I'm not ready to give up Sysmon yet.

Morgan Aldridge
---
morgant at makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/