[VoiceOps] Alternative IVR Platform?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Aug 1 12:02:01 EDT 2009

Scott Berkman wrote:

> Asterisk also makes for a very powerful and scriptable IVR platform if
> you are willing/able to put the work in.

I was about to say - it makes an excellent feature box.  My only major
concern relates to its scalability;  not even so much the amount of
concurrent calls per box that it can handle as how much that amount
might be reduced by a weighty, complicated dial plan with database
backing, etc.

On the other hand, the ability to stick it on commodity PC hardware far
outweighs any of these downsides from a cost perspective;  per-port cost
with Asterisk is among the lowest for applications, especially if you
bother to do it right (i.e. centralised logic controller, nothing too
host-wise).

SEMS (SIP Express Media Server) from IPTel/Tekelec is another viable
alternative that might scale better.  Obviously, it's a pretty bad
choice for doing a simple SMB-oriented IVR;  it's at least 100x more
difficult than doing it with the Asterisk dial plan, and requires using
some poorly documented C++ and/or Python APIs.  However, if it's
something really esoteric and requiring the flexibility of integration
and/or data acquisition paths that Asterisk can't provide, or requires a
higher degree of real-time call control (i.e. continuous deduction of
prepaid balances and termination of call if they have expired, for
example), I think it's a pretty good platform.  Also makes a great
generic signaling-only B2BUA, using ann_b2bua app for exaple.
Definitely not the right thing for *basic* IVR, though.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems